- Study nitrogen fluxes in aquatic systems (small rivers, lakes, estuaries, coastal marine systems) with a focus on the processes of nitrification, ammonification, and uptake of dissolved inorganic nitrogen; and establishing N-budgets at whole ecosystem scale. Studied systems: Zenne River, Aa River, Scheldt Estuary, Seine Estuary, Tanganyika Lake, North Sea, North Atlantic Ocean.
- Chief scientist for several marine sampling cruises on board RV BELGICA
- Teaching Environmental Chemistry
- Analysis of nutrients (nitrate, nitrite, ammonium, silicate, phosphate) in water with automated methods
- Wastewater management in urban river ecosystems